Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Day 3 - Going Garbanzo

I'm not waking up with as much energy as I'd like. Going to bed past 11pm is probably not helping, but I'm waiting for that glorious feeling I experience after a stint of eating well... when my alarm goes off, I open my eyes and feel zero grogginess. Bring back that feeling!

Day 3 has gone well, I've been a little more hungry today, but it could be more mental than physical. The bag of free bagels on the counter at work didn't help my cause. I ate an orange this morning and had a green shake around lunch time. Then an apple later on. This evening I had guitar class at the Old Town School (week 2) so we made a quick dinner of salad and flax crackers afterward. D is in love with my balsamic vinaigrette: just organic olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, pepper and about a tbsp of raw organic honey. Whisk it, money!



Now on to the Garbanzo experiment. We dry/organic garbanzo beans at Whole Foods the other day. They soaked in water for about 36 hours. Then I removed the water so they could start sprouting. Before I did that, I removed about a cup of the soaked Garbanzos for a Raw Hummus experiment.
Traditional Hummus recipe:
1 c. Garbanzo Beans (chick peas)
Olive oil
Garlic
Salt
Lemon juice

I threw it in my handy food processor/hand mixer-in-one, and that was it!

The difference here is that I used raw garbanzos instead of canned/cooked. The consistency looks VERY close to regular hummus, with a little paprika and a splash of olive oil you may as well be in Greek Town. HOWEVER, I've come to the realization that there is probably a reason why there are few Raw Garbanzo recipes out there. Raw garbanzos have a very earthy flavor; earthy in a slightly bitter/unripe way. This being said, the raw hummus has all the flavors of a successful snack, but with a little bit of an "off" after taste, if you will.

We're going to try the hummus with some Raw Falafel balls to see if it mellows out the flavor by marrying with other spices. Working on those balls as we speak...check back tomorrow for an update =D








Cheers,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment