Tuesday, January 25, 2011

Day 16 - Taco Night

I jumped the gun last night. I bought all the ingredients for our tacos, but had not soaked my almonds yet. So what did I do? I took leftover granola and added the taco spices to it....yes, cumin and coriander. The result: a salty, sweet, grainy mess. We each ate one and pretty much threw in the towel on dinner...

So I soaked the almonds over night, and tonight's real taco dinner was MUCH better.

Raw Tacos
adapted from Ani Phyo's Baja Taco
Meat
2 c. soaked raw almonds
1 1/2 T ground cumin
1 1/2 T ground coriander
1 tsp celtic sea salt
Guacamole
2 avocados
1/4 red onion
1 T lemon juice
handful cilantro
1 small garlic clove
celtic sea salt
Pico de Gallo
1 large tomato or 2 small
1/4 red onion
1/2 jalapeno
kosher salt

The "meat" was really the only unconventional thing about this dish -- guac and pico are pretty standard Mexican fare. Super simple, I just took the almonds, cumin, coriander and salt and processed them in my little mini-chopper thing. By itself, it didn't really taste like meat. But with everything, the texture and flavor are reminiscent of legit tacos.

And I had an epiphany. What would plain meat taste like without the proper seasoning? Probably not that great, right? So in this case, we're using almonds and getting a delicious result. It's not about the MEAT it's about the SEASONING.

Last night I also made a tomato basil flax cracker using leftover tomato sauce from last week's spaghetti. Within a day, they were ready to go and they are tastier than the original flax cracker that I made 2 weeks ago. PROGRESS!

I'm getting into a raw groove. Hitting week 3 of detoxification, I've been a little more tired at work. But I really feel like I'm getting some junk out of me (literally) and that my body is responding well to what I'm doing. Overall, happy joy.


Cheers,

K

No comments:

Post a Comment